Afro-Academic, Cultural, Technological and Scientific Olympics of the Mind Scholarship Program
WHAT IS ACT-SO?
ACT-SO is a yearlong enrichment program designed to stimulate, improve and enhance academic and cultural achievement among African-American high school students. Community Volunteers, Professionals, Businesses support the program and serve as mentors and coaches.
WHO SPONSORS ACT-SO?
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) sponsors ACT-SO. ACT-SO receives support from schools, community organizations, churches, foundations, private corporations and individuals.
WHO FOUNDED ACT-SO?
Vernon Jarrett, a renowned author and journalist, initiated the idea of an “Olympics of the Mind” that would promote and reward academic achievers the same way sports heroes are honored. The first national ACT-SO competition was held in 1978 in Portland, Oregon.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
African-American high school students who are citizens of the United States, enrolled in grades 9 through 12 and are amateurs in the categories of competition. Students must compete in a local ACT-SO program to qualify for the National ACT-SO competition.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF PARTICIPATING IN ACT-SO?
· ACT-SO is a learning experience
· Gold, Silver, Bronze Medals Awarded
· Awards, Cash Scholarships --$1,000, $750 and $500 in each category and Prizes Awarded at the National Competition
· Participants develop new skills and abilities
WHAT ARE THE CATEGORIES OF COMPETITION?
STEM THE HUMANITIES THE PERFORMING ARTSTHE VISUAL ARTSBUSINESS
WHEN DOES THE ACT-SO PROGRAM BEGIN?
· ACT-SO is a yearlong enrichment program that begins with mentoring, coaching and teaching.
· The Arlington ACT-SO Program Kicks off for the 2015-2016 year in October 2015 with a student and parent orientation.
· Contestants who win gold medals on the local level qualify to attend the National ACT-SO competition,which takes place in July 2016 at the Annual NAACP Convention in Cincinnati, Ohio.
HOW CAN A STUDENT APPLY AND GET ADDITIONAL INFORMATION?
Click the links below. Please fill out the Interest Form in its entirety 2016 ACT-SO REGISTRATION FORM (REGISTRATION CLOSED) 2016 ACT-SO DOCUMENTS
Mr. Jason Thomas Chairperson, Arlington ACT-SO 682.999.8574